Backstage News on Ilja Dragunov WWE Departure

Backstage News on Ilja Dragunov WWE Departure

New details have emerged about Ilja Dragunov’s quiet disappearance from WWE programming, and the situation appears far more straightforward than it looked from the outside. According to a new report in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE stopped using Dragunov all the way back in April after contract negotiations left both sides too far apart to reach a new deal.

Dragunov’s contract officially expired on August 20, making him a free agent with no non‑compete clause. Meltzer wrote, “Ilja Dragunov’s (Ilia Rukober, 32) contract expired on 8/20 and is now a free agent.”

Why Dragunov Vanished From TV

For months, fans wondered why Dragunov wasn’t appearing on television. He hadn’t wrestled since WrestleMania weekend, yet there was never an injury announcement or storyline explanation. Meltzer said he repeatedly asked about Dragunov’s status and was told he wasn’t hurt — creative simply wasn’t using him.

“We had over the months since his disappearances asked about him and the only answer we had gotten was that he wasn’t injured but creative was not using him. One version was that they had nothing for him but another was that they were specifically told he was unavailable to be used.”

The new report now reveals why he was “unavailable.” Dragunov was already on what was described as a “very good contract,” and with that deal nearing its expiration, WWE and Dragunov began discussing a new one. Those talks reportedly didn’t get far.

“Essentially, he signed what was termed a very good contract and it was coming due. In talks over a new deal, the sides were far enough apart that the decision was made in April not to use him anymore.”

That means WWE had already decided months earlier that Dragunov wouldn’t be brought back to TV while the clock ran out on his contract.

WWE Didn’t Believe His Numbers Matched His Asking Price

The report also sheds light on WWE’s internal reasoning. Nobody questioned Dragunov’s ability in the ring — Meltzer said it was “conceded he was a great worker.” But WWE reportedly didn’t believe his business metrics justified the level of money involved.

“It was essentially conceded he was a great worker but not a numbers mover and evidently for the level of money he was asking and getting, you needed to be a numbers mover.”

This adds context to earlier reports that WWE analytics played a role in Dragunov’s standing, and that WWE would have liked to keep him. There were even rumblings of a post‑SummerSlam return, but whatever ideas existed never made it to television.

WWE’s Approach Mirrors AEW’s Strategy

Meltzer also compared WWE’s handling of Dragunov to something AEW has done under Tony Khan. If the company believes a talent isn’t going to re‑sign, they may simply take them off TV until the contract expires.

“This does show WWE (as is also seemingly the case with Bayley), that they are doing the same thing Tony Khan had done, in the sense when they believed someone was not going to re‑sign, to just take them off television until their contract expired.”

Dragunov Is Now Free to Wrestle Anywhere

Dragunov’s final WWE appearance ended up being WrestleMania weekend. WWE reportedly made the decision in April to stop using him, and four months later his contract quietly expired.

Now there is nothing keeping him on the sidelines. Dragunov is a free agent with no non‑compete clause, meaning he can show up anywhere — and at any time.

- / 5
Thanks for voting!
AdvertisementAdvertisement

About Badrose

Known as Badrose all around the world, he is the owner, writer and content creator for Wrestling Attitude. Since 2001, they have been covering WWE and AEW weekly shows, turning a lifelong passion for wrestling into breaking news and deep-dive analysis for fans worldwide. Follow me on X (Twitter).

View all posts by Badrose →

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.