Sunday, April 19, 2020

Mike Kanellis on How He and His Wife Found Out About Their WWE Release

Mike Kanellis on How He and His Wife Found Out About Their WWE Release
As seen in the below video, Mike Kanellis spoke with WrestleTalk about his recent WWE release.


As previously noted, Mike and wife Maria Kanellis were one of many wrestlers released this week as part of budget cuts related to the coronavirus pandemic. A full list can be found by clicking here.

While speaking about his release, Mike Kanellis admitted that he did ask for his release in October 2019, but he and WWE worked things out. He and both Maria signed with WWE in the spring of 2017. Maria previously worked for WWE until 2010.

"So, I mean in the sense that in my head it was always like if there is going to be releases, it's probably going to be me and probably going to be my wife, just because my wife has been out on maternity leave and they weren't doing anything with me," Mike explained. "I had already asked for my release in the past, though we did work things out after that. I didn't want it to happen during a pandemic." (h/t to WrestleTalk)

He specified that Maria never asked for her WWE release like he did. While he wasn't surprised he and Maria were released, he was surprised it happened during a global pandemic.

"I think that's a hard thing for me to try to explain to people, not to go off-topic, but there are a lot of people who are like 'well he did ask for his release,' which I did, but my wife never did and I want to get that clear, my wife was happy to stay there," he revealed. "But it's like, you think in the back of your head, yes I did ask for my release, but no one wants to be released in the middle of a pandemic. You ask for your release when you think you can go and do other things. I asked for my release because I wasn't working and I wanted to work."

Mike said that wrestlers were given a heads up before calls were made. The heads up was a video that was sent of Vince McMahon saying that people would be getting laid off. Bennett says that he and wife Maria knew that they would be let go. “It’s us, it’s going to happen,” Mike says he told his wife.

Mike said the call came from Mark Carrano an hour later and then there was a call to his wife. Bennett said he has nothing to negative to say about Carrano or Vince McMahon. Bennett said about McMahon: “You hear these terrible stories about Vince but like, he was always good to me, he was really. It just didn’t click.”

Mike also shared what he would like to do in the future. One thing is he would like to team with ROH star Matt Taven again. While Mike was in Ring of Honor, he was part of The Kingdom with Taven and now NXT star Adam Cole. He also would like to do a singles run in New Japan.

"I would love to do a singles run at New Japan and I would love to team up with [Matt] Taven again. To me, those are the two coolest things."



PLEASE SHARE THIS ARTICLE:


LATEST NEWS