Thanks to James Caldwell of PWTorch and Emanuele Codispoti for the following WWE Main Event and Smackdown spoilers from tonight’s tapings in Houston, Texas:
– The dark match before tonight’s WWE Main Event tapings in Houston saw Dolph Ziggler defeat Stardust with a superkick.
WWE Main Event:
– WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day defeated The Ascension in a fun match
– Baron Corbin beat Fandango in about 2 minutes with End of Days. Basic match. Apparently Corbin’s deal will be screaming at refs. Only thing that got a reaction during the match.
– Paige beat Emma. This was announced as a “women’s division” match. And it was darn good. Really impressive, snug, physical match. Emma has really found herself as a wrestler again. Paige got a Standing O after she won with Ram-Paige.
Roman Reigns is in the ring to open this week’s Smackdow. Loud boos and loud cheers from the two demos. The vocal males drowned out his promo. He’s stressing the Not a good guy, not a bad guy, but The Guy line. AJ Styles interrupted to huge cheers as the counter to Reigns. Show of respect, but said he wants the title. Reigns said he’ll never beat him for it and patronizingly patted him on the shoulder before leaving. No date for the title match.
– Tonight: Styles and Cesaro vs. Jericho and Owens.
– Vaudevillains defeated The Lucha Dragons. Crowd didn’t know what to make of their act, but clapped along to the old-time music. Not clear if heel or face and pinned US champ Kalisto. Not a good week to be a mid-card champ. Crowd sat quietly as they celebrated the win, not sure why Kalisto just lost.
– Natalya beat Summer Rae via submission in a women’s division match. Charlotte and Ric Rlair joined commentary. More like Charlotte was on commentary and Flair just sat next to her. Natalya put Summer in the Sharpshooter right in front of Charlotte. Post-match stare down. They got out quick, but Flair was a little slow exiting. Charlotte had to come back and get him. “C’mon dad!”
– The Miz beat Zack Ryder to retain the IC Title, with the help of Maryse. Maryse came out to almost no reaction. Crowd has forgotten who she is or are too new to know. She introduced Miz to defend. When Miz was in trouble, Maryse undid the bottom turnbuckle pad and threw it towards Ryder. Miz then punched Ryder in the face and hit the Skullcrushing Finale for the win. So much for that.
– Apollo Crews beat Curtis Axel in a short match. Axel lost paper rock scissors with the other Outcasts to get the match. Crews hit the delayed sit-out powerbomb for the win.
– Tonight: Dean Ambrose. The crowd fired up for his graphic and his music.
– Backstage: The Dudleys called out Roman Reigns. It goes down tonight.
– Backstage Interview: Baron Corbin said the End of Days is already here. He wants to end Ziggler after their Raw match.
– Backstage Interview: Becky Lynch, with her messed-up eye, said she will never stop chasing the Women’s Title. Emma interrupted and told her she belongs at the back of the line.
– Dean Ambrose returned to the biggest pop since Styles. Dean is way over with everyone. And then they killed the vibe randomly showing the WM33 Orlando outer space video.
– Promo for the Colons in Puerto Rico.
– Tyler Breeze vs. Dean Ambrose is next… And this one is already over. Dean Ambrose wins with the Dirty Deeds in few seconds. As Dean exited, Chris Jericho’s pyro shot off. Dean sold intrigue and met Jericho on the ramp, but Jericho walked on past him.
– The advertised tag match is next. During the “break,” Jericho cut a local heel promo trying to rile up the crowd. Master class.
– Kevin Owens out next, then a review of Owens attacking Sami Zayn on Raw. Owens and Jericho got into it, selling not getting along. Cesaro was out first for the face team doing his James Bond routine. Styles out last. nd Jericho has found himself in a PWG match on WWE TV.
– Styles & Cesaro beat Jericho & Owens. Very good tag match. Real funny comedy sequence during the mid-match “break.” Zayn came out restrained by agents and refs, distracting Owens, who got rolled up by Styles for the pin.
Big post-fight brawl on the floor between Owens and Zayn. Owens got the best of him. That seemed to be the end of Smackdown.
Styles remained in the ring and the Dudleys attacked him. Roman Reigns came down to knock out the Dudleys. AJ and Reigns had a big stare down reluctant to shake each other’s hand. They eventually shook hands.
Jericho interrupted from ringside. He had a message for everyone. Jericho told Styles to shake his hand and apologize. Great mic work. Instead, Styles gave him the Clash and Reigns speared him. Reigns’s music played and the babyfaces appealing to differem fanbases posed in the ring to close the show. Victory laps before Styles’s music and Eden closed things out.