Sunday, September 25, 2016
Clash of Champions Kickoff Show Recap + Video
The 2016 WWE Clash of Champions Kickoff pre-show opens live from Indianapolis with Renee Young, Lita, Booker T and Jerry Lawler. They hype the first RAW-exclusive pay-per-view. They hype the show and send us back to the Social Media Lounge with Tom Phillips. Sami Zayn will be joining him later. Fans can submit their questions with #AskSami. The panel leads us to a video on tonight's WWE United States Title match.
- The conversation moves to Rusev vs. Roman Reigns for the United States Championship. Booker T says you don't mess with a man's woman, but this is something Roman Reigns will have to deal with for weeks to come. Jerry says he thinks Roman is putting himself into the wrong situations. Lita argues that Roman has picked this spot, however. Jerry says he'd be saying nice things to Rusev from now on if he were Roman. Lita picks Roman to win, while Jerry picks Rusev. Booker says he has no idea what's on Roman's mind since losing the championship.
- Sasha Banks was interviewed backstage. She said she's been waiting over a month to get payback on Charlotte for trying to injure her. She said it's a big match for Bayley but tonight is about her. She said she's going to become a two time women's champion. Dana Brooke showed up and said Sasha should only be feeling fear and worry that Charlotte is going to finish her up together. Banks said that if Brooks gets involved tonight, she's going to be the one on the injured list.
- They aired a video feature on the Raw Women's championship.
- Back at the panel, they begin to discuss the Triple Threat Match for the Raw Women's Championship between Charlotte, Sasha Banks, and Bayley. Booker says this is his Shucky Ducky Quack Quack Moment of the Night. Charlotte is at a disadvantage tonight, but she has what it takes to be a great champion. Lita says Bayley is a wild card tonight. Charlotte won a Triple Threat at WrestleMania, and that might give her the edge. Jerry says Sasha is either scared of Charlotte, or she's an idiot. The panel picks Charlotte to retain.
- They talked about the Best of Seven Series between Cesaro and Sheamus.
- Sheamus joined the panel. He said that he didn't feel any pressure going into the final bout. He said that Cesaro is right up there with Daniel Bryan as one of his toughest opponent. Booker said that some people might say that Sheamus dropped the ball. Sheamus said he's seen Booker in a Best of Seven series in the past but tonight he's going to win and get his championship opportunity. Sheamus came off really jovial, as opposed to playing a pissed off heel. He said that being the last draft pick on Smackdown made him wonder whether he's gotten complacent. He said there are no excuses tonight if he loses. He said he would walk out a decisive winner.
- They aired a video piece on the Cruiserweight division. The panel discussed the Cruiserweight championship match. Booker talked about TJ Parker. Ooops. Lawler said Perkins could be a flash in the pan because whatever he accomplished before WWE means nothing. Well, what about that entire tournament he just won?
- They showed the footage of Chris Jericho laying out Sami Zayn several weeks back on Raw. Zayn was interviewed by Tom Phillips, taking Twitter questions. Zayn said the highlights of his career were winning the NXT championship, wrestling at Wrestlemania and beating Kevin Owens at Battleground. He said the best moment will be when he one day he wins the Universal title and hopefully, from Owens. He was asked how it feels to have fans singing his theme music. He said he considers himself a musical person and noted that fans have sang his song his entire career with "Ole Ole Ole" and now they sign his current theme. Zayn said he was told at a young age it's good to have a song stuck in his head and he hopes he can be the song stuck in others' heads. He said that he wants the old Chris Jericho tonight.
- We go back to the panel for more discussion on that match and the WWE Tag Team Title match. Renee hypes tonight's pre-show match and sends us to a break.
Nia Jax vs. Alicia Fox
We go to Michael Cole, Corey Graves and Byron Saxton. They hype the next match as Alicia Fox makes her way out. Nia Jax is out next.
The bell rings and Alicia nails a dropkick. She unloads but gets scooped and rammed in the corner. Nia drops Fox and works her over now. Nia with a splash in the corner. Jax tosses Alicia and stomps on her. Nia ragdolls Alicia with a submission now. Alicia tries to make a comeback but gets cut off. Alicia sidesteps out of the corner and finally gets some offense in. Nia won't go down. Fox gets sent to the apron but drops Nia over the top rope. Fox goes up top and hits a crossbody for a 2 count.
Alicia with the scissors kick for a 2 count. Nia comes back and floors Fox. She scoops her but Alicia slides out. Nia with a running shot in the corner. Nia scoops Alicia for the big Samoan Drop for the win.
Winner: Nia Jax
After the match, Nia stands tall as we go to replays. Nia makes her exit while Alicia is still down in the ring.
- We go back to the panel for discussion on the match and a WWE Network promo. They hype tonight's main event and that's it for the pre-show.
Labels: CLASH OF CHAMPIONS